[Textury] Metal

Zaglądnij tutaj, jeśli masz pytania lub uwagi dotyczące różnorodnych aspektów tworzenia misji w edytorze Darkmod, jak też związanego z nimi oprogramowania i sprzętu.

Moderatorzy: peter_spy, timon

Awatar użytkownika
Dziarsky
Garrett
Kontakt:

[Textury] Metal

Post autor: Dziarsky »

Największą wadą TheDarkMod'a są chyba textury metalu. Strach się bać użyć którejś by nie wyglądała jak obrazki z gry Quake1 a przecież czasy się zmieniły 8-).

Czas dzielić się czymś nowym co sami przygotujemy albo pozyskamy z sieci bez praw autorskich.

Oto dwie wersje mojej propozycji:

Obrazek

Znalazłem w sieci i przerobiłem ten obrazek. Jak widać lewa ma wypukłe szlaczki a prawa odwrotnie :). Jest przynajmniej jakiś wybór ;)

Udostępniam pliki defuse i normal i specular. Oczywiście możecie sobie to przerabiać do woli :).

Pliki zapisałem w najlepszej jakości JPG bo zajmują wtedy o wiele mniej miejsca niż TGA.

http://thief.ovh.org/darkmod/metal01.rar

ps. Warto to co przygotujemy wysyłać do twórców DakModa czy radzą sobie sami?
ps2. Czy są jakieś znormalizowane rozmiary textur zaproponowane ? Bo widziałem jakieś opisy na forum ale nie połapałem się czy to propozycja czy ktoś się chwalił.
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
Juliusz
Złodziej
Kontakt:

Re: [Textury] Metal

Post autor: Juliusz »

ps. Warto to co przygotujemy wysyłać do twórców DakModa czy radzą sobie sami?
Warto, na pewno. Wszystko, co wartościowe będzie wykorzystane. Tekstury do głównego zbioru dodaje jeden gościu (Gildoran) i wygląda to tak, że przysyłasz tekstury wpierw mu (dajesz na ftpa lub linka, jeśli masz własny serwer, itp.), a on je sprawdza pod względem technicznym i ew. artystycznym (niektórzy ofiarowywali mizerne tekstury ze zwalonymi normalami na przykład) i wrzuca do odpowiedniego folderu.
Najlepiej zapodać jakiś wątek w stylu "Moje tekstury", załącz jpegi do wątku, żeby każdy mógł obejrzeć i ew. skomentować.
ps2. Czy są jakieś znormalizowane rozmiary textur zaproponowane ? Bo widziałem jakieś opisy na forum ale nie połapałem się czy to propozycja czy ktoś się chwalił.
Większość tekstur na brusze ma chyba wielkość 512x512. Najlepiej jednak przygotowywać je w wielkości 1024x1024, bo oprócz oficjalnego zbioru, jest też zbiór hires, który będzie z czasem też udostępniony dla wszystkich chętnych posiadaczy lepszych maszyn. Ale tym zajmuje sie Gildoran - daj wątek z teksturami na forum, resztę Ci powiedzą co i jak.

Tak na wypadek, jakbyś nie widział tego na forum darkmoda:
TEXTURE GUIDELINES:
Texture groups should attempt to stay within the following standards.

Format:DDS

Renz and I tried to create a priority based forumla for different entities within the game. With this formula,the largest TGA textures (512x512) weigh in at roughly 700 kb with 24 Bit, RLE lossless compression.

Do keep a backup of the ultra hi-res versions of your work. Try not to forget that you must upload a high res and low res version to their respective repositories.

Tiled textures- Walls, Floors, Ceiling, Doors...ect -
Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512]
Specular: [ Min/Max: 256 x 256]

Large objects- Beds, barrels, chairs, bookshelves-
Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 256x256]
Specular: [ Min/Max: 128 x 128]

Small objects- Keys, books, goblets, utensils-
Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 256 x 256] Normal: [ Min/Max: 128 x 128]
Specular: [ Min/Max: 128x128]

AI: All characters-
Diffuse: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512] Normal: [ Min/Max: 512 x 512]
Other: [ Min/Max: 256x256]

By following this formula on the models/props/textures folder, I was able to reduce its size to under 30 megs, from over 70 megs. That's a considerable difference at no discernable cost to quality.

What's great about this is that is doesn't require using lossy compression. We retain high quality looks, but only at slightly reduced resolution.

Hi... I figured that I need to describe the new texture organization and the standards I wish to apply. If you want to add textures to CVS, please read the part below labled IMPORTANT.

Material Names:

The bulk of the DarkMod textures will be in "textures/darkmod/". The standard format for texture pathnames is "textures/darkmod/<surfacetype>/<usage>/<name>".
<surfacetype> is surface type of the material. (such as wood, stone, metal, etc)
<usage> is the usage category of the texture: floor, ceiling, wall or trim
<name> is a descriptive name of the material
For example, some floorboards might be called "textures/darkmod/wood/floor/boards_001". There are some exceptions... for example, doors are lumped together regardless of surfacetype: "textures/darkmod/doors/attic_001"

Material files containing official Darkmod textures will be of the format "tdm_<name>.mtr". For example, "tdm_stone_floor.mtr" or "tdm_door.mtr". The purpose of this is so that if a mapper wants to add their own mtr files, they don't have to worry about them conflicting with official darkmod ones, so long as they don't start with "tdm_". I'll try to ensure that any new material files abide by this naming scheme, and slowly work towards changing older files to match it too.

Usage Categories:

There are four main usage categories: floor, ceiling, wall and trim

floor: This category contains textures that tile both horizontally and vertically, regardless of whether they'd likely be used as a floor in real life. If it's possible to discern which way is up in a texture, it probably doesn't go in the floor category. For example, a texture with icicles hanging off of it would be put in wall instead of floor. On the other hand, a classic brick pattern would be put in floor instead of wall, since there's no one up direction.
ceiling: This category is like floor, except it's used in cases where the texture has visible supports or such that clearly prevent it from being used as a floor.
wall: This category is used for textures that tile only horizontally or vertically, or couldn't be put in floor because they have an obvious up direction. Usually walls don't have extreme height/width ratios. Extremely long narrow textures tend to be put in trim.
trim: This is sort of a catch-all for things that don't fit in the other categories. It's often used for long, narrow textures such as beams and moldings and for textures that don't tile at all.

IMPORTANT:

Adding your own material files and textures:

Previously, material files had gotten pretty cluttered and chaotic. In order to ensure that all DarkMod textures and material files stay orderly and meet certain standards, I'd like any additions to the "textures/darkmod/" directory or to any "tdm_*.mtr" files to go through me. Please do NOT add such textures/material-files to CVS directly.

Adding map-specific textures:

Of course, it would be inconvenient for mappers if all textures they created for their maps had to be submitted to me before they could go on CVS. Fortunately, I'm not asking that. If you want to directly commit a map-specific texture to CVS, please use the following standards.

Any material files associated with the map should be named "<mapname>.mtr" or "<mapname>_<something>.mtr". They should NOT be named "tdm_<mapname>.mtr".

Any materials for the map should be named "textures/<mapname>/<anything>". Please do NOT put them in the "textures/darkmod/" directory.

The same goes for any images created for your map-specific textures; they should be put somewhere in the "textures/<mapname>/" directory, and NOT in "textures/darkmod/".

Example:

Lets say you had a map called "trendals_mansion.map". Its material file(s) could be named things like "trendals_mansion.mtr", "trendals_mansion_floors.mtr", "trendals_mansion_uber_cool_textures.mtr", etc.

Its materials might include "textures/trendals_mansion/myfloor", "textures/trendals_mansion/stone/wall/roughly_hewn" or "textures/trendals_mansion/my/cool/textures/sparkly".

All of its image files would be in "textures/trendals_mansion/". (its DDS files, if any, would be in "dds/textures/trendals_mansion/"). For example, "textures/trendals_mansion/wood/floor/boards_local.tga" or "textures/trendals_mansion/barred.tga".

As long as the naming schemes described in this section are followed, then I don't have a problem with mappers adding such files directly to CVS, and I don't care about whether or not they fit our other standards.

Submitting textures:

Any official darkmod textures (things in "textures/darkmod/") need to be submitted to me instead of added directly to CVS. This is so that I can ensure that they meet all formatting standards, and handle bookkeeping stuff like keeping track of authors, properly category placement, generating DDS files, adding copies to the hires repository, etc.

To submit texture(s) that you've created, package the mtr and all necessary images in a pk4 file, so that I can just place it in my darkmod directory and look at the materials without needing to unzip anything. Then upload the pk4 to an FTP or HTTP site and send me a private message or post something in the textures forum. I'll download your pk4 and add your textures to the "textures/darkmod/" directory one at a time. Unless you tell me otherwise, I may change the surfacetype or name of the texture.

Anyway, I hope this isn't inconvienient for anybody. I'm always open to comments, suggestions and of course questions.

-Gildoran
Awatar użytkownika
Dziarsky
Garrett
Kontakt:

Post autor: Dziarsky »

Dzięki za opisanie sprawy.
Swoje plik zapisuję w rozdzielczości 512x więc przynajmniej do teraz nie mam większych dla high-res. Wiem już też, że specular powinny być 2x mniejsze :).

Wrzucę za jakiś czas kilka innych textur, także z innej grupy.
Wtedy mając jakiś tam zbiór odezwę się na forum TDM.
Obrazek
Awatar użytkownika
Juliusz
Złodziej
Kontakt:

Post autor: Juliusz »

Dziarsky pisze:Wiem już też, że specular powinny być 2x mniejsze
Rób najlepiej wszystko w jak największej rozdziałce. Gil niech sobie to skaluje do wielkości, jakie mu odpowiadają. Czasem może być tak, że specular będzie szczegółowy i lepiej zachować go we większej, itp. itd.
ODPOWIEDZ